During a warm summer day, there is nothing quite as refreshing as a cold drink to cool you down. Whether it’s iced tea or something fruitier, a cool drink by the pool or on the patio with friends is a summer staple. However, if you’re trying to keep that summer body in shape, it’s important to limit the amount of sugar and calories you drink.
Below are five low-calorie drinks that will let you enjoy yourself without the guilt this summer.
- Strawberry Lemonade: Nothing says cool like lemonade. Although most lemonade recipes are very high in both calories and sugar, you can make a few modifications to create a much lighter drink. This recipe uses fresh strawberries, freshly squeezed lemon juice and agave for a refreshing upgrade to a summer classic.
- Pina Colada Smoothie: This recipe offers a lighter take on a vacation favorite. Using lite coconut milk, pineapple chunks and honey, the pina colada smoothie tastes just like the real thing with fewer than half the calories.
- Southern Style Iced Tea: In the South, iced tea is a must have during the summertime. While unsweetened tea has zero calories, sweetened tea can seriously expand the waistline. At only 49 calories per serving, the southern style iced tea includes green tea bags, honey, lemon and fresh mint leaves for a perfect summertime drink.
- Pomegranate Juice: With only three ingredients, this recipe is a game changer. Sugar-free pomegranate juice, sparkling seltzer water and lemon make up sparkling pomegranate–sure to be your new summer favorite!
- Cucumber Mint Water: For something simple to sip on, this cucumber mint water recipe is as easy as it is delicious. With three ingredients–cucumbers, lime and mint–this healthy drink will keep you refreshed and beach ready throughout the summer.
For more healthy tips this summer, be sure to check in on the Denton Regional Urgent Care blog regularly.
Disclaimer: Patients’ health can vary. Always consult with a medical professional before taking medication, making health-related decisions or deciding if medical advice is right for you.