What You Should Know About Age-Related Hearing Loss

Happy senior couple sitting on a wooden park bench

Most people will experience some level of hearing loss as they grow older. Age-related hearing loss, also known as presbycusis, is one of the most common conditions affecting elderly adults, with approximately one-third of the United States older than 75 experiencing presbycusis.

Unfortunately, those who suffer from hearing loss have difficulty heeding to warnings, hearing doorbell and reacting to smoke alarms. It can also make daily life less enjoyable as conversations can be frustrating. If you or someone you know is suffering from age-related hearing loss, there are a few things you should know to help cope with the condition.

Why do you experience age-related hearing loss?

There are many factors that can cause hearing loss due to age including high blood pressure, diabetes and medications that are toxic to the sensory cells. Most often, those who suffer from age-related hearing loss also experience some noise-induced hearing loss, which is caused by long-term exposure to sounds that are too loud or long lasting.

How do I know if I have age-related hearing loss?

There are a number of ways to identify if you have a hearing problem including:

  • Difficulty hearing co-workers, clients or customers
  • Frustration when talking to family members
  • Restrictions or limitations due to hearing issues
  • Problems hearing the TV or radio at adequate noise levels
  • Embarrassment meeting new people because you struggle to hear

How can I prevent age-related hearing loss?

While there is no hard and fast way to prevent age-related hearing problems, you can protect your ears from sounds that are too loud and too long lasting at a young age. Sources of potentially damaging noises include loud music, lawn mowers, snowmobiles, firearms and leaf blowers.

What should I do if I have a hearing problem?

If you believe you’re suffering from hearing loss you should see a doctor who can determine why you’re having trouble hearing. Your doctor may send you on to an ear, nose, throat and neck doctor or another hearing professional called an audiologist. Audiologists are often trained to identify and measure the level of your hearing loss. Some audiologists may be able to fit you for a hearing aid which can be worn in or behind the ear to help you hear better.

If you think you may be suffering from hearing loss of any level, consider visiting Denton Regional Urgent Care. Physicians at Denton Regional Urgent Care are trained in urgent care, so you will receive the care you need in a timely manner.

Disclaimer: Patients’ health can vary. Always consult with a medical professional before taking medication, making health-related decisions or deciding if medical advice is right for you.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s